What’s YOUR vision of Ward 3?
Over the years I’ve met many of you who are working so hard to make this a better place to live, work and play. As Ward 3 Councillor I am YOUR advocate at city hall, so that I can help us foster real, lasting, positive change in our neighbourhoods.
Together, we need to work to create a safe and vibrant Ward 3 full of opportunity for all residents, regardless of what neighbourhood we live in or our income level. Let’s break down what that means in more detail.
When we talk about Safety, we’re talking about:
- Calming traffic on our streets to make the community safer for seniors, children, and cyclists.
- Working with neighbours and police to find lasting solutions to property theft and damage.
- Working with drug users to help break the cycle of dependence and to keep minor infractions from clogging our courts.
- Working with the community to find real solutions to street safety and prostitution.
- Working with landlords and neighbours to improve property standards and to drive out slumlords.
- Streamlining the process for installing new speed bumps and cross walks where most needed.
- Ensuring transit routes have flexible stops at night and operate more regularly.
When we talk about Vibrancy, we’re talking about:
- Cleaning up our parks and integrating them into a network of recreational facilities that all citizens know about and have access to.
- Continuing the renewal of Gage Park and attracting more cultural events on a year-round basis.
- Ensuring that the community has access to the new Tim Horton’s Field and that it’s not laying dormant for half the year.
- Encouraging residents to work together to identify and solve the persistent problems in their neighbourhoods.
- Opening the doors of government to transparency and ensuring that residents have access to all the information they need to make informed choices.
- Increasing the network of recreational hiking and cycling trails and ensuring their good maintenance.
- Creating a community dialogue about Complete Streets and the need for better designed roadways and better public transit.
When we talk about Opportunity, we’re talking about:
- Creating an affordable housing plan for Ward 3.
- Bringing in participatory budgeting to Ward 3 and thereby allowing residents to set the agenda.
- Coordinating the creation of a community-led master plan for Barton St. East, King St. East and Main St. East.
- Identifying the needs of Ward 3 residents and helping to bring thriving businesses back to our commercial streets.
- Connecting new immigrants to city services.
- Encouraging local businesses to hire Ward 3 residents.
- Building support on council to streamline the permit process for home renovations.
- Encouraging the growth of Small Office / Home Offices.
- Connecting youth to job training programs.
- Building support on council for better by-law enforcement that does not discourage investors or penalize small businesses and instead fosters a spirit of co-operation and information sharing.